The second annual, city-wide Pittsburgh Recovery Walk will take place on Saturday, September 16, 2017. Join us for a celebration of the many roads to recovery and all those who have traveled them!
Meet us at 9am in the parking lot at 11th and Waterfront (just north of Smallman St. in the Strip District) for the walk kick off and then march down Penn Avenue and into Market Square for the Recovery Expo that lasts until 1pm. For a map of the route and suggestions about transportation and parking, check here.
Timeline of Events
9:00am – Registration begins at 11th and Waterfront. Check in, pick up your t-shirt and goody bags, say hi to your friends, and gather with your teammates. Enjoy music by Kelli Burns entertainment. Coffee and water will be available at no cost.
10:00am – Walk begins! Let’s fill the streets of downtown with our voices, our t-shirts, and our smiles! We’ll be joined by raucous tunes from the Mayday Marching Band. The walk will proceed out of the 11th and Waterfront parking lot: Left onto 11th Street, then Right on Penn Avenue into Market Square.
11:00am – Recovery Expo begins in Market Square! Prominent news reporter Sally Wiggin will greet the crowd and emcee the Expo. The crowd will hear inspiring words from Eric Lisle, president and CEO of PA Health & Wellness, and former Pittsburgh Mayor Tom Murphy.
Next, we will have the great privilege to hearing recovery stories from four local Pittsburghers, who will describe their personal experience and the ways that recovery has enabled them to contribute to our community.
Finally, we’ll get a sweat going with The Camp Transformation, who will lead low-impact fitness fun suitable for all ability levels.
During the Recovery Expo, we encourage participants to visit tents in market square, which will be staffed by local organizations offering educational activities and recovery resources.
1:00pm – The Recovery Expo concludes! Head home to check out #pghrecoverywalk on social media and bask in the glow of a collective effort to celebrate hope and change in Pittsburgh.
Tents in Market Square
What’s going on in the Recovery Expo? Quite a bit. Here’s a list of tents to visit:
- Children’s Tent – Balloon animals, face-painting, and other fun kid stuff
- Wellness Tent – Experts will focus on nutrition, women’s health, and oral health
- Recovery Wares – Recovery gifts, books, and more
- Family Support – Information on how to find support if your loved one has addiction
- Healthy Pregnancy – Information on substance use and addiction treatment related to pregnancy
- Health Screenings – Blood pressure and other basic health checks
- Thanking First Responders – An opportunity for people in recovery (and their loved ones) to write thank you notes to first responders
- Discussion and Support – A place to seek support and discuss recovery one-on-one
- Overdose Prevention – Information about naloxone and other OD prevention strategies
- The Science of Medication-Assisted Treatment – Information about naltrexone, buprenorphine, and methadone
- Veterans Services – Health and human services for veterans
- Navigating the System – Guidance on finding treatment in Allegheny County
- Finding Opportunities with a Criminal Record – Employment and housing for people with criminal records
- 12-Step Fellowships – Information tables for AA & NA
We encourage everyone to register in advance. Thanks to the support of local generous sponsors, this event is FREE for all. Walkers will receive an event t-shirt and goody bag (while supplies last). Register today!